My mothers blood pressure is 140/90. She is 56 years old. Whether the Blood Pressure 140/90 is normal one ? What are the precautions to be taken to reduce the blood pressure ?
Please give me the answer ASAP.
It is a little high. Hypertension is considered to be present when a person’s systolic blood pressure is consistently 140 mmHg or greater, and/or their diastolic blood pressure is consistently 90 mmHg or greater.
While elevated blood pressure alone is not an illness, it often requires treatment due to its effects on many organs. The risk is especially increased for:
- Heart Attack
You can calculate your risk here:
- Lifestyle modification with weight reduction and regular aerobic exercise (e.g., jogging) are recommended as the first steps in treating mild to moderate hypertension.
- Reducing salt in your diet is proven very effective: it decreases blood pressure in about 60% of people. Many people choose to use a salt substitute to reduce their salt intake.
- A diet rich in fruits and vegetables and low fat or fat-free dairy foods.
- Stop smoking and limit the use of alcohol.
- Medications. Evidence suggests that reduction of the blood pressure by 5-6 mmHg can decrease the risk of Stroke by 40%, of Coronary Artery Disease by 15-20%.
The aim of treatment should be blood pressure control to <140/90 mmHg for most patients, and lower in diabetes or kidney disease (levels below 120/80 mmHg. Often multiple drugs are necessary to achieve blood pressure control.
Hope this helps,
My bloid pressure is 178/113 pluse 99 i took my pill this morning. Do I just rest or go to the doctor.