Hi there, this is Chef Piet!
Here is a new idea I am playing around with. It is called, “Brunch in a Basket”. This is a food kit with everything you need for an awesome brunch, meant to be given as a gift, but also could be commercialized. I made this one few times, “Braised Kale, with poached egg, crispy pancetta, Kombu butter & fresh ricotta atop toasted whole wheat bread”. The kit comes with all the ingredients in labeled containers and a step by step recipe guide. In addition, it comes with two mini bottles of champagne and some ground coffee.
Here is the recipe:
Braised Kale, with poached eggs, crispy pancetta, Kombu butter & fresh ricotta atop toasted whole wheat bread
Follow these easy directions and enjoy! Read through first, so you know what to expect.
- Wash kale and cut into large bite size pieces (including the stems) and let drain in colander.
- Open container labeled: (Step 2) Pancetta. Place large sauté pan on stove and turn heat to medium. Cook diced pancetta until it is crispy, being careful not to burn it. If there is any smoke, the pan is too hot. Once finished, remove pancetta and place on plate lined with a paper towel to absorb grease.
- Open container labeled: (Step 3) Garlic and Onions. Using same pan, add garlic and onions and sauté 3 minutes until onions start to turn translucent.
- Add kale to pan with garlic and onions and stir. Reduce heat to medium low.
- Open container labeled: (Step 5) Vegetable Stock. Pour stock over kale.
- Open container labeled: (Step 6) Lemon. Squeeze lemon juice over kale. Season with Salt and pepper to taste and stir. Loosely cover the pan. Let simmer for 45 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Fill a large nonstick skillet with 2 inches of water place over high heat. Open container labeled: (Step 7) Vinegar. Add to water. Bring water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and keep just under boiling, around 190 degrees.
- Slice bread into 2 thick piece and toast until golden brown.
- At this point, make Mimosas- filled wine flute 3/4 of the way with champagne and top off with juice.
- Crack each egg into a separate cup, being careful not to break the yolk. Have a plate lined with a tea towel. After kale has finished simmering for 45 minutes, slide the eggs one at a time gently into the water. Cook eggs 3 and 1/2 minutes. Remove from pan with slotted spoon and let drain on the plate.
- Place poached egg on the kale. Open container labeled: (Step 11) Kombu Butter. Add several small bits of butter atop the poached eggs. It will melt. Sprinkle with pancetta.
- Open container labeled: (Step 12) Ricotta. Divide ricotta between the two plates, next to the toast. Season everything to taste with little salt and pepper.
Serve and enjoy.
Just add yourself and your partner:
Your Chef Piet,