Submitted by Dr T on September 24, 2010 – 8:24am
I have blogged about palpitations and VT before. You can read more about that here:
You’ll find these are rather common complaints and most people don’t need treatment, only reassurance once their heart proves OK.
Trigeminyc(or Bigeminy) can be caused by a host of factors.
There are two kinds of Trigeminy:
1)Two normal beats are followed by an extra beat; this rhythm usually does not progress to dangerous forms of fast ventricular rhythms;
2) A group of 3 beats, usually one normal beat followed by 2 extra beats.
This condition may be caused by other heart disease, or causes that include medications, too much caffeine, cocaine use, stress and other factors.
What are the causes of ventricular arrhythmias?
Some cases are simply “normal variants”, occurring in otherwise normal individuals.
Other causes include :
- A variety of underlying cardiac conditions, including coronary artery disease, cardiomyopathy, mitral valve prolapse, etc.
- Abnormal levels of “electrolytes” (minerals) in the blood. Decreased potassium and/or magnesium are the most common associated abnormalities of electrolytes. Both may be caused by the use of diuretics (water pills), among other reasons.
- There are unusual congenital (familial) causes of ventricular arrhythmias.
- Abnormal conditions such as increased thyroid hormones, and others.
- Toxins, including alcohol.
- Stimulants such as
+ Caffeine Nicotine and/or Cocaine can cause serious ventricular arrhythmias.
+ Some over-the-counter medications and herbal/natural formulations contain important stimulants
- Infection, inflammation or degeneration of the heart muscle.
- Infections at other sites in the body.
- They are often worse with lack of sleep, or stress.
- There are also other causes.