Submitted by Dr T on September 25, 2010 – 9:10am
The general principles of treatment of arrhythmias are:
- Correction of any underlying abnormalities, such as electrolyte imbalances, disorders of the thyroid, etc.
- Avoid stimulants or medications which may worsen the situation. Get enough sleep. Pursue an appropriate exercise program.
- Treat any underlying disorders of the heart appropriately.
- If the problem persists:
- Consider medications for selected cases.
- Some patients may benefit from techniques which remove or destroy some tissue from the heart. This is not for minor cases!
- Consider devices, such as implantable cardioverters or defibrillators in selected cases, again only for those with very serious problems who are at risk of sudden death.