- Your Heart
- Ask Dr. T
- Heart Healthy Living
- About Us
- Contact Us
How can ventricular arrhythmias be treated?
The general principles of treatment of arrhythmias are:
- Correction of any underlying abnormalities, such as electrolyte imbalances, disorders of the thyroid, etc.
- Avoid stimulants or medications which may worsen the situation. Get enough sleep. Pursue an appropriate exercise program.
- Treat any underlying disorders of the heart appropriately.
- If the problem persists:
- Consider medications for selected cases.
- Some patients may benefit from techniques which remove or destroy some tissue from the heart. This is not for minor cases!
- Consider devices, such as implantable cardioverters or defibrillators in selected cases, again only for those with very serious problems who are at risk of sudden death.
Ask Doctor T. Blog
I have been advised by my primary physician to schedule a cardiac catherization and possible stent placement procedure after having a Nuclear Stress Test with the following "Findings:
The study quality is excellent. There is no transient LV ischemic dilatation noted. The left ventricular...
I have a friend with internal defibulator. can I perform cpr and is it possible for me to get shocked if the debibulator is going off?