- Your Heart
- Ask Dr. T
- Heart Healthy Living
- About Us
- Contact Us
Heart Healthy Living
Diet after Coronary Artery Bypass surgery
To help you with your recovery after Bypass surgery you will need healthy balance of carbohydrate-rich foods high in fiber, such as unrefined whole grain breads, crackers and cereals and a variety of other whole grains like brown or wild rice, wheat berries or bulgur. These foods, along with a variety of fruits, vegetables, legumes, low-fat dairy products and lean meats, eaten in moderate portions, will help one both lose weight and as well as cholesterol reduction.
Protein is very important for wound healing and tissue development, especially after surgery. The recommended amount of protein after surgery is 0.8 – 1.0 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight. Therefore a 150 pound female requires about 52 – 66 grams of protein per day 150 lbs and 73 – 91 grams of protein is recommended for a 200 pound male. Dietary protein can be found in animal products such as meat, fish, eggs, and dairy and non-animal sources such as beans, nuts, seeds and vegetables. Ideally, meat sources of protein should not exceed 6 ounces per day which would provide 42 grams of protein – the remainder is to be met from fat free or low fat dairy, beans, nuts, seeds and vegetarian textured protein.
The recommendations from the American Heart Association's dietary guidelines include the following:
- Less than 7% of calories coming from saturated fat.
- Less than 1% of calories from trans fat
- Less than 300 mg of dietary cholesterol per day.
- Consume fish, especially oily fish, twice a week
- Choose whole-grain, high fiber foods
- Consume a diet rich in fruits and vegetables
- Select all fat free, 1 percent, or low fat dairy products
- Cut back on foods and beverages with added sugar
- Choose and prepare foods with little or no added salt. Aim to eat 1,500 mg – no greater than 2,300 mg of sodium per day.
- If you consume alcohol do so in moderation
- Balance calorie intake and physical activity to maintain a healthy body weight